Minutes 8th September 2016

Minutes of the Annual Parish Council meeting held on Thursday, 8th September 2016
at Coddington Church at 7.30pm

Present
Councillors Sven Bosley (Chairman), Julia Boyle, Julie Baker, John Joyce-Townsend, Patrick Whitehead, Liz Cooke, Tim Newsholme

In attendance
Leanne Rex – Parish Clerk

Public: 7

1.0 To Accept Apologies for Absence and Note the Reason
Charlie Ferrier (work), Joe Hayes (holiday), Matt Hosking (work), Rachel Lovering (work), Gian Carlo Paganuzzi (work)

2.0 To Record any Declarations of Interest and Requests for Dispensations
None

3.0 To approve the Minutes of the Previous Parish Council Meeting
Minutes from 7.7.16 meeting were agreed to be true and accurate and were approved and signed by the chair.

4.0 To receive update from the Buchanan Trust (BT)

Peter Buchanan and Andrew Bower attended the meeting.
Andrew Bower, Chairman of the Buchanan Trust, introduced himself as a farmer and land agent and involved with farming charities. He provided the following latest update, further details can be found on the newly updated website www.buchanan-trust.co.uk
The priority is for ex service personnel where agriculture might provide a new career or therapy. Some may have had their military careers curtailed through injury, some may have been discharged from treatment at military centres (eg for post traumatic stress disorder) and need recuperation and help to transition to a civilian life; and some may have had a full service life, but not owned their own home due to travelling, and need a base and training whilst they decide what to do. BT aim to provide accommodation and training for 25 people for 6-18 months. Hoping to have 1st people resident in 12 months.
The scheme has the potential to be of national standard and to give something back to those who have served with the military. BT plan to work with agricultural colleges (e.g. Holme Lacy, Hartbury) as well as planning to deliver in house training on the land e.g. forestry, spraying, horticulture, husbandry, tree surgery. Some small units The charity commission have given a clear ruling that the Trust was failing and have let to non-qualifying tenants. Notices to tenants have not been given lightly.
In order to help those coming out of the military, BT need land and buildings. Planning application is in to convert 2 of the flats. Fundrasing and charity links inc regiment charities are essential and a fundraising manager/trustee may be required.
The main plans are:

  • Livestock working farm based on livestock (calf rearing, sheep, broilers), with a farm manager to be recruited.
  • Care farm – needs more funding and external input; recruit care farm manager skilled in farming and psychiatry; aim to deliver therapy through caring for land and animals; not profit generating.
  • Equestrian Care – talking to Help the Heroes to learn from their Scottish model.

Questions raised:

  1. Will the tenants pay rent?
    likely to be paid by the council effectively as a grant, with charity money coming in once properties are occupied.
  2. Will the Hfds Council funding cuts have any impact?
    There are no ties to Hfds Council anymore.
  3. Where will the income come from?
    Livestock farm will generate profit and grow as the money becomes available to convert and amalgamate other units; charitable input; sponsorship; figures have been looked at carefully by finance experts.
  4. Will military leavers be made aware of the opportunity?
    Yes – communication is critical.

5. Suggestion to contact large machinery companies for sponsorship.
Ongoing.
Communication in the community is important and it was agreed to update the parish council quarterly.
Peter Buchanan expressed his thanks to Andrew Bower for taking the role as Chair of the Trustees.
The Chair thanked Peter Buchanan and Andrew Bower for their time and the presentation and they left the meeting.

6 public members left the meeting.

5.0 To Receive Brief Report from Ward Councillor Tony Johnson
No report available.
6.0 Open Forum for Local Residents to Raise Matters Relevant to the Parish Council
No items raised.

7.0 Correspondence / Discussion / Governance

7.1 Update re Forge Bank Amenity area Clerk
Process to register the land is ongoing. Confirmation received from Land Registry that the land is un registered. Clerk has located the original deeds at Masefield solicitors and will now submit these to land registry.
Clerk has contacted the Church Commissions solicitors regarding the covenant. No reponse.

Meeting agreed to obtain 2 quotes for stock fencing. Clerk to contact Joe Hayes and George Merrick to meet SB/PW/LC to agree cost effective fencing solution.
7.2 Response to Hfds. Council Consultation on Funding for local subsidised bus services JJT
JJT advised there was a similar exercise 2 years ago to amalgamate bus services prioritizing trunk routes at the expense of rural routes. The meeting agreed for JJT to complete the questionnaire based on using 1 driver and 1 bus rather than 2. Options in the future may include mini buses if buses were seriously reduced.
7.3 Update re Neighbourhood Development Plan
Hfds Council have confirmed the NDP can now be put into Regulation 16. There is an 8 week objection period before it becomes the definitive NDP.
The Chair thanked MH and PW for their hard work.
7.4 Update re website and grant application
The Clerk advised the grant application had been successful and £1300 had been received to update the website and then to maintain and host cost effectively.

8.0 Highways/Footpaths/Lengthsman

8.1 Flooding by Church Lych Gate / School yellow zig zags
The Clerk confirmed the drainage work and re-painting yellow lines had been completed.
8.2 Overhanging trees on Bridge House footpath
The Clerk confirmed Neil James had referred this to the arboricultural team at Balfour Beatty.
8.3 Overhanging trees opposite Woodmans
Knight Frank (the land agents) have advised the work is scheduled for 13.9.16
8.4 Update from Lengthsman working party (LWP)
PW presented the rates for the 2 lengthsman. The next task is to develop works orders using the list of tasks which the Clerk will issue and the lengthsman will invoice against.
Working Party to estimate the annual charge for Ed Seabright to ascertain the balance left from the lengthsmans budget. PW/JH/JJT
The Chair thanked the LWP for their hard work.
8.5 New highways/footpath issues
Ask Ed Seabright to clear grip by Birch Lea (opposite Morton Cottages). Clerk
Log to Balfour Beatty to jet drains at The Firs (past Forge bank). Clerk
8.6 £2400 spend authorised in the last meeting for work on the river is now on hold as the environment agency have carried out some of the work, and possibly planning more. LWP to refer back to Parish Council for further approval if spend is required.
8.7 Review of Highways Log
Lights at Stanley House – seem to be more controlled – Close item.
Brook Lane sign: Clerk to cost and arrange installation (bean field side as per Southfield Lane). Clerk
Streetlights in Bosbury : there are 3 orange lights on properties and query they should be white in a conservation area. SB to provide property names and location. Clerk to contact Balfour Beatty. SB/Clerk
8.8 Clerk to email Highways log to James Boyce (footpaths officer). Clerk

9.0 Finance

9.1 To Agree Finance Report and Bank Balances
The meeting agreed the above.
9.2 To Agree Payments of outstanding accounts as per finance report

The following were all agreed:

674 Clerk’s salary May & June £361.35
675 Clerk’s salary July & August £498.43
676 Seabright Solutions £635
677 Data protection renewal £35.00 (direct debit)
678 Coddington Church hire £25.00

9.3 To receive update re Hfds Council 2017/18 budget consultation held on 28.7.16
PW had previously circulated the slides from the presentation.
£59M has been saved so far; between 2020 need to save another £28M; no government funding after 2020.
The role of Parish Councils will inevitably grow as more funding is pushed out.
9.4 To agree precept for year end 31.3.18
Clerk to circulate the finance spreadsheet for year end 31.3.16 Clerk
Agenda item for October meeting.

10.0 Training / Meetings

10.1 To note dates and decide attendees for meetings
PW to attend Balfour Beatty meeting on 11.10.16 at 2.00pm. Clerk to arrange. Clerk

11.0 To Note & Review the Information & Outstanding Actions Sheet (attached)
Completed

12.0 To note Date and Time of next scheduled meeting
6th October 2016 , 7.30pm at Coddington Church

13.0 To raise items for the next scheduled Parish Council meeting (no discussion)
Agree precept

The meeting closed at 21.49